The winners are in for Tokyo Anime Awards 2021, and there were definitely a couple key titles taking home the prizes for most categories. Demon Slayer and Kyoto Animation's Violet Evergarden anime film were showered with accolades, while one plucky little can-do series from Masaaki Yuasa and Science Saru managed to swoop in for the biggest honor of them all.
That's right, we're talking about the delightful Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! anime, a celebration of creation based on the manga by Sumito Owara. Eizouken! was named Anime of the Year alongside Violet Evergarden: The Movie thanks to a combination of votes for nomination from the public and decisions made by anime industry professionals.
Here's how the individual awards shook out beyond the big one:
- Director - Haruo Sotozaki (Demon Slayer)
- Screenplay - Reiko Yoshida (Violet Evergarden: The Movie)
- Animator - Akira Matsushima (Demon Slayer)
- Art/Color Design - Mikiko Watanabe (posthumous, Violet Evergarden: The Movie)
- Music - Yuki Kajiura (Fate/stay night [Heaven's Feel], Sword Art Online Alicization War of the Underworld)
There was also the Anime Fan Award, which was given to the anime with the most votes via a public Twitter poll. That one went to IDOLiSH7 Second BEAT!.
Mikiko Watanabe's award for art and color design marks the second year in a row the late Kyoto Animation staff member has been honored posthumously following the July 2019 arson attack on Studio 1.
We'd like to extend a hearty congratulations to all of the winners!