If you're looking for a new place to watch some of the biggest anime in Japan spanning the past few decades, you might want to start digging around on Tubi. Fox Entertainment's free, ad-supported service announced a partnership with Toei Animation this week, which introduces a bunch of popular anime ranging from One Piece to Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama's classic Dr. Slump.
Seven TV anime series are joining the lineup for a total of around 500 episodes between them. While that not take too big of a chunk out of a mammoth like One Piece, Eiichiro Oda's series will also have six specials on Tubi, including 3D2Y, Episode of Sabo, Adventure of Nebulandia, Heart of Gold, Episode of East Blue, and Episode of Skypiea.
Other shows on the way are Toriko, GeGeGe no Kitaro, Slam Dunk, Saint Seiya: Saintia Sho, and Saint Seiya: Hades. As Tubi notes in its press release, this marks the first English-subtitled streaming release in the United States for Dr. Slump and Saint Seiya: Hades, but we'll have to stay tuned for more info on the exact release dates.
Here's how Tubi—which is available in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Australia—describes the upcoming additions:
- Dr. Slump (English subtitled version on Tubi) – Based on the manga by Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball), this comedic adventure about an inventor and his robotic daughter Arale. Dr. Slump predates Toriyama’s Dragon Ball, but occasionally the two series have had crossover appearances and share the same universe.
- Toriko – During the Gourmet Age, an era in which the world is full of undiscovered ingredients and people seek out unknown and exquisite culinary delights, the Gourmet Hunter, Toriko travels the world to capture wild ingredients to complete the “Full Course Meal of Life.”
- Ge-Ge-Ge No Kitaro – Kitaro, a monster with a strong sense of justice receives letters from people crying out for help. Kitaro fights monsters to solve these problems.
- Slam Dunk – Hanamichi, a high school boy with no basketball experience plays a game with the captain of a basketball team and wins. His basketball life begins and he and his teammates aim for victory.
- Saint Seiya: Saintia Sho – This series is told from the point of view of the Saintias, the Female Saints who act as a bodyguard and personal attendant for Athena, as the conflict in “Knights of the Zodiac” unfolded.
- Saint Seiya: Hades (English subtitled version on Tubi) – Hades, the Lord of the Dead, has come back from the depths of darkness and is after Athena. Will Seiya and the Gold Saints be able to protect Athena from the approaching hands of death?
Source: Press release